Dublin Core
Title
Sugar Grove, IL, Town Hall: 1848-1873
Subject
Government: Village Township
Description
The Sugar Grove Center School was built in the fall of 1848. It was a two story building on the east side of Main Street about where the street now ends near the present Route 30. The first floor was school rooms and the second floor was a large meeting room known as the Town Hall or Town House.
History records that on the afternoon of November 10, 1873, the building burned to the ground as the result of some pranks by young boys.
Source: "Sugar Grove, Illinois 1834-1984" by Ruth Frantz and Frank Damon
In January 1875, a special town meeting was called to decide where to build a new Town Hall. The Normal and Industrial School was built that year, and the new Town Hall was just north of it, where the Community House now stands.
By the id 1920s, the Town Hall was to small for many activities held there and it was in disrepair. It was sold and moved to 158 Maple Street and remodeled into a home.
(Source: Sin-Qua-Sip Sugar Grove: A History of Sugar Grove Township, Kane County, Illinois" by Patsy Mighell Paxton.)
History records that on the afternoon of November 10, 1873, the building burned to the ground as the result of some pranks by young boys.
Source: "Sugar Grove, Illinois 1834-1984" by Ruth Frantz and Frank Damon
In January 1875, a special town meeting was called to decide where to build a new Town Hall. The Normal and Industrial School was built that year, and the new Town Hall was just north of it, where the Community House now stands.
By the id 1920s, the Town Hall was to small for many activities held there and it was in disrepair. It was sold and moved to 158 Maple Street and remodeled into a home.
(Source: Sin-Qua-Sip Sugar Grove: A History of Sugar Grove Township, Kane County, Illinois" by Patsy Mighell Paxton.)
Identifier
[no text]
Date
1848-1873
Creator
Ruth Frantz, Frank Damon, and Patsy Mighell Paxton
Language
[no text]
Rights
Sugar Grove Historical Society
Format
Photo
Relation
[no text]
Source
Sugar Grove Historical Society
Publisher
[no text]
Contributor
[no text]
Type
Photo Collection
Coverage
[no text]