Uncle Tom's Cabin, Sugar Grove, IL

p5tr.jpg
p7.jpg
07252020214316 - Reduced.jpg
07252020220637.jpg

Title

Uncle Tom's Cabin, Sugar Grove, IL

Subject

Uncle Tom's Cabin, Sugar Grove, IL

Description

Handwritten on the back:

Uncle Tom's Cabin
1876-1879

9-15-92

The first "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was built in 1876 to board students of the Sugar Grove Normal and Industrial School. The residential building was named in honor of Thomas Judd "Uncle Tom" for his generosity in founding the Sugar Grove Normal and Industrial School and donating the land. The building also functioned as a Train Depot and Restaurant. It was located at the northwest corner of Main St. and the Railroad tracks. It burned downed in 1879, only 3 years after it was built.

Identifier

9-15-92

Date

1876 - 1879

Creator

Lucy

Rights

Sugar Grove Historical Society

Format

Photo

Source

Sugar Grove Historical Society

Type

Photo Collection

Original Format

photo